With the encouragement of the Punta Gorda Historical Society, the City of Punta Gorda has provided a site to which historic buildings could be moved and preserved. Located at 501 Shreve Street, Punta Gorda, FL 33950 (Directions) Here you will find:
The Cigar Cottage El Palmetto Cigar Co. flourished in the 1890's, but was defunct by 1901. Near their factory at Virginia and Cochran Streets were small cottages for their workers. After the company folded, Del Huckeby of Cleveland bought a number of the cottages and moved them to Brown and Wood Streets. Recent owner Mike Nicholson donated this cottage to The Punta Gorda Historical Society (Old Punta Gorda, Inc.) and on October 12, 1999 it was moved to the History Park.
The Trabue Land Sales Office Punta Gorda founder Isaac Trabue platted and began development of Trabue, later incorporated as Punta Gorda. This one-story, one gable, wood frame office became the town's first post office. He later added a kitchen and rented the cottage to winter visitors. The building was donated by Bob and Norma Henry and was moved to the History Park in November, 2000.
The Price House/Gilchrist Inn Moved to the site just a few short years ago the Price House a/k/a Gilchrist Bed and Breakfast has been restored. Through the dedication of our volunteers it is open to the public. To see photos chronicling the building's progress click here.
The Calaboose In 1886, Punta Gorda, or Trabue as it was known then, was a rough and lawless town. Wild and raucous cowboys and fisherman boozed it up Saturday nights and the city fathers decided that something must be done. To this end the town built a portable cage with steel bars. The calaboose was the original town jail, and was placed on Olympia Avenue, across from the old county Courthouse near Herald Court. This primitive jail was found on the Parker Ranch some time ago, and with the help of local business people, has been restored and moved to the History Park.